Khmer Red Curry (Somlar Kari Krahom)
Good For: Lunch, Dinner
Enjoy this traditional Cambodian curry, combining delicious savory and sweet flavors. This curry is typically cooked with chicken or beef and served on special occasions! We’ve made this recipe vegan, cooking with extra vegetables for a warm and comforting meal, served with baguette or our fluffy jasmine rice (we recommend our white or semi-milled jasmine).
- 2 carrots sliced into large spears
- 1 sweet potato (cut into 1-2cm cubes)
- 1 white potato (cut into 1-2cm cubes)
- 1 white onion (cut into wedges)
- 1 aubergine (cut into 1-2cm cubes)
- 1 cup of green beans
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 cups of water
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4-5 tbsp of Cambodian red curry paste (you can also use Thai Red Curry paste blended with a bit of lemongrass)
- 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
- 1 tsp of ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp of red chili (finely chopped)
- 3 cups of cooked White or Semi-milled IBIS Rice
- In a large pot or wok (on a medium heat) add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once simmering add onion and sweat with garlic, ginger and chili for 2 minutes
- Add curry paste, tamarind paste, sweet potato, white potato, aubergine and carrot and stir fry for 2 minutes so that all the vegetables are coated.
- Add coconut milk and water and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add green beans and continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with your cooked jasmine rice!