Cha Kroeung Cauliflower with Semi-Milled Rice
Good For: Lunch, Dinner
If you love Cambodian flavours, you must cook with Kroeung, a delicious lemongrass, galangal and turmeric aromatic paste that is found in many traditional dishes. Cha Kroeung is typically cooked with chicken or beef, while our recipe uses cauliflower to make this gorgeous stir fry that goes great with our white or semi-milled jasmine rice!
- 3 leaves of lemongrass (stems removed)
- kaffir lime leaves (stems removed)
- 2 shallots (peeled and sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 2 galangal pieces (peeled and chopped)
- 3 turmeric roots (peeled and chopped) – Be aware that turmeric can stain skin, surfaces and cloth.
- 2 red chili (chopped)
- 2 tbsp of water
Stir Fry Ingredients
- 1 medium sized cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 onion (cut into wedges)
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed & sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced into medium sized strips)
- 1 cup of holy basil
- 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 2 Thaï red chili (sliced in half lengthwise)
- Ground black pepper
- 2 cups of white or semi-milled jasmine rice cooked
For the Semi-Milled Jasmine Rice:
- Rinse and Strain rice and combine with 2 cups of water in a pot.
- Turn on the stove on a high heat, bring to a boil.
- Immediately reduce to the lowest heat and cover.
- Simmer for 25 minutes so that all of the water is absorbed
- Turn off stove and leave pot covered for 5 minutes before serving
For the Stirfry:
- Align the bottom of your chives and finely chop the bottom 2-3cm and place in a small bowl for garnish.
- With your remaining chives, cut into 3cm-5cm lengths.
- Peel your ginger and julienne slice into matchstick size strips.
- Press and slice garlic cloves.
- Peel carrot and julienne into 3-5cm strips.
- Peel onion and discard root, then slice evenly lengthways.
- Remove stem of bell pepper and cut in half. Remove white flesh and seeds. Then slice into even strips lengthways.
- Drain the extra firm tofu and slice into even squares (about 2cm).
- Slice mushrooms into even wedges.
- Prepare sauce mix. In a small bowl mix soy sauce, white vinegar and sesame oil.
- In a wok or frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on a medium-high heat.
- Once sizzling, add tofu pieces and 2-3 tablespoons of your sauce mix. Bring to a high heat and stir fry until all sides are golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Remove tofu from the pan and place in a small bowl for later.
- Reduce heat to medium and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add ginger and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onions, mushrooms, carrot, bell pepper and another tablespoon of vegetable oil and another tablespoon of your sauce mix. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chive strips and stir fry on a high heat for another 2 minutes gradually adding the rest of your sauce mix.
- Add your tofu cubes and chopped chives and continue to stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve on a plate with cooked semi-milled jasmine rice. Sprinkle some white sesame seeds and enjoy!